MLA guidelines require that a person should cite the paraphrases that is used from sources and placed at the end of the sentence. The purpose of parenthetical citations is to provide a source of information in person’s paper. Citing does not only provide a source but it also allows readers in finding the source that is helpful for their research.
MLA Citation Paraphrase
How to cite a direct quote: When incorporating a direct quotation, you need to cite the source. You need to use quotations within sentences to make sure that the sentences are grammatically correct. If your quotation has more than four lines, it is needed to use block format, one inch left margin and double-spaced without any quotation marks.
- Citing after paraphrasing: After you put details using your own words, you need to cite original researcher or author, including the paragraph number/s
- Citing information without page number/s: If the text doesn’t have page numbers that is the case for electronic sources, it still has paragraph numbers. You can use the abbreviation par or pars.
- Citing two or more authors: When citing 2 or more authors, you need to put a comma after the last name of the author, add the title or a shortened version of the title; and page number.
- Citing author’s name that is not available: It is better to use the title of the book that includes quotation marks, italics format and capitalization.
MLA Paraphrasing Citation
Paraphrasing is restating others ideas using different words as well as sentence structure. With this, it is better to use relevant topic and restate it. Changing some words is not enough because you completely paraphrase the author’s ideas. You don’t need to use quotation marks when paraphrasing. Just use new words. It is important to use in-text citations when you are paraphrasing in order for the reader to know the details from another course.
- Include main points and important information
- State meaning of the text using different sentence structure and different words
- Record bibliographic information
- Check MLA paraphrase against the original text
There you go the helpful tips and things you always need to remember when paraphrasing MLA citation. If you think you cannot perform the above-mentioned tips yourself, do not think twice in getting help from the pros in MLA paraphrasing citation. Check our examples of paraphrasing now!